Regardless how beautiful your kitchen, we all suffer from the same usual issues. Often, the problems are minor, even if they cause a major headache. With at least 5 potential areas of plumbing problems, armed with the ability to troubleshoot the most common ‘disasters’ can save you time and money in the long run. If, however, your problem is truly a catastrophic, absolutely-in-need-of-a-plumber-now situation, Port Moody Kitchen Fixture Repair & Service technicians are on-call 24/7! To assist with your troubleshooting:
1. Low Water Pressure/Temperature Fluctuations — when any kitchen fixture is used, if other areas of the home are affected with regards to water pressure and/or temperature fluctuations, there are a few possible culprits:
- The sink aerators may be damaged — replace as necessary
- Your hot/cold supply lines could be compromised by leaks/stoppages, etc. — clear/replace lines as indicated upon inspection
- There could be any number of defective parts causing the problem — have a thorough inspection completed and resolve any issues detected
- It is possible that your kitchen sink/dishwasher could be installed incorrectly — have a thorough inspection of installation and rectify any issues as indicated
2. Foul Odors — once you have determined that the foul odor is not your dishrag, there are a few potential culprits:
- The trap for the sink could be broken or leaking — have your plumber inspect the drain for problems and repair/replace as indicated
- The trap may be dry after long periods of disuse — open the tap and allow water to run for at least 10-15 minutes to properly saturate the trap to block odors correctly
- Your garbage disposal may need cleaned — see “Garbage Disposal”
3. Clogged Sink — generally reserved for holidays or large parties, a slow draining or completely clogged sink is likely an indication of:
- Rusty drainpipes — which can lead to leaks or infiltration of dirt and exterior debris, causing clogs must be repaired/replaced immediately!
- Debris/grease build-up — first attempt clearing the drain with a plunger, followed by a mixture of equal parts of vinegar and baking soda to break the clog. If this does not clear the drain, you can try chemical drain cleaners. In dire cases, you will need a plumber to ‘snake’ the drain to clear all debris.
4. Garbage Disposal Malfunctions — if your garbage disposal is not working, or screeches when turned on, the causes could be:
- Burned out motor — eventually your garbage disposal will just stop working. The only remedy for a burned out motor is to install (or have installed) a new device.
- Blades blocked — there is a possibility that the blades are blocked if the disposal is operating slowly. While you can check the unit yourself, it is advisable that a profession perform this task, as it is extremely dangerous. If you decide to check yourself, be 100% certain that all power to the unit is off. It is highly advised that you actually turn the power off at the panel, not just the sink switch!
- Drain blockage — if the disposal is slow to drain, chances are the drain is clogged with debris. Attempt clearing any clogs with the vinegar/baking soda mixture, failing that, call Port Moody Kitchen Fixture Repair & Service.
5. Leaking Refrigerator/No Ice — if your freezer is not producing ice or there is noticeable water leakage from the refrigerator:
- Control arm in wrong position/broken — check that the control arm for the ice-maker is in the correct position. Consult the Owner’s Manual to determine correct position.
- Water feed is leaking — if the feed line to the ice-maker is leaking, check the connections to ascertain a tight fit. If the line is cracked or deteriorated, it must be replaced.